Posts Tagged ‘approvals’
You have a great customer lead, you’ve talked with the sales rep for that customer, and you’ve had an initial conversation with the customer who has agreed to participate in your customer reference program. Now it’s time for that very important customer interview. Here are a few tips to help you conduct the customer interview:
- Before the interview, try to gather as much information as possible from the sales rep so you don’t have to take the customer’s time getting basic facts such as which product they use.
- Visit the customer’s website so you thoroughly understand their business.
- Though you’ve hopefully covered it in an initial conversation before the actual interview, make sure the customer has obtained internal approvals to proceed and understands he or she may be asked to sign a legal release form for deliverables.
- In all communications, show the customer that you understand how busy they are and that he or she is going out of their way to participate.
- Streamline information gathering to make the process easy for the customer. Maximize the customer’s time by gathering as much information about their story as possible in one phone call with all stakeholders to avoid multiple emails or phone calls.
- Be prepared with specific questions you will ask the customer.
- Set expectations about the amount of time required for the interview.
- Consider recording the interview, but first make sure the customer is OK with it.
- Show appreciation to the customer for his or her participation through thank you notes, meetings with your executives, access to product teams, and other activities.
Here are some ideas for customer reference interview questions you might ask.